Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas 2008

Christmas has come and gone, and what a wonderful Christmas it was.

Early Christmas Eve, the roads full of snow and ice melted a bit to slush, so Chris and I took this opportunity to escape our cooped up apartment and venture into town and buy groceries. It looked as though there hadn't been a delivery there in a while. All the vegetable had been picked through and there was not much left, however, I bought as many veggies as I could.

We decided to "try" to go to bed early that night, I emphasize try because we both went to bed quite late. At a quarter to nine Chris and I snuggled up while I read the poem "Twas The Night Before Christmas", by Clement Clarke Moore. It is a new tradition for us that we have started, and we love it.










We were both so excited for Santa to come. As soon as I heard Chris snoring in the other room, I stole away into the den, which we had designated our official Christmas Room, where nothing but Christmas is allowed. I unburied the presents I had hidden and began to wrap and prepare them; I wanted to hurry so that when Santa came I wouldn't be in his way.

Near the end of this whole process I heard Chris wake, and I quickly doused the lights. As I listened to his footsteps go down the hall, I held my breath, hoping that he would not open the door and find me. After a few minutes had gone by, I very slowly and stealthily turned the door knob as quietly as possible and crept down the hallway. I found Chris at his computer, but noticed that he looked like he was up to something...perhaps my Christmas Present...so I respected his space.

That night it was as hard to sleep as it had been when I was a child. I was so excited to see the look on Chris's face when he saw our presents from Santa; I couldn’t wait. The next morning at 6 A.M. we both woke up full of Christmas Spirit and excitement. I began chopping up fresh apples and peeling oranges for a fruit and cheese platter. When we were both ready, we entered the Christmas Room together.




















Santa had come and he had done a fabulous job. We all opened our presents, including the kitties, then enjoyed a Christmas movie "A Charlie Brown Christmas", while we ate our fruit platter for an early breakfast.

















At 9 A.M. Bryan came and picked us up to go spend Christmas at my Mom and Dad's house. It was a very slippery, snowy drive; I was a little nervous. It took us over an hour and a half to get to our destination. When we got there, Kylie showed us all of her Christmas presents, and we got to watch Dominique open her presents from Grandma and Grandpa Suchanski. Chris and I got to open presents too. I got the DVD "Neena & Veena Belly Dance Workouts", which is awesome, because that is exactly what I've been wanting.
















After we had been there for about twenty minutes, Bryan was ready to go; he was very excited and anxious to get home and have Christmas with Dominique. We all decided to go and watch Dominique open her presents.

On the ride home, Chris, Dominique, Bryan, and I all experienced a magical Christmas Card moment. As we pulled around a snowy bend we slowed to a complete stop to watch a family of deer pose out in the middle of a meadow, in the most perfect Christmas Card pose I have ever seen. They were beautiful. They slowly moved out of this pose and that's when we scrambled to find a camera. Luckily Bryan had his camera with him, so I'll have to ask him for a copy. They ventured out onto the road, and it almost looked as if the biggest deer was challenging the truck, but it stood it's ground until it decided it was safe for the others. They gathered again closely together and slowly walked down the middle of the road in the opposite direction we were going. It was a precious moment, and a very awesome one to share.


At Bryan's house we feasted on a big Christmas breakfast with yummy hash browns and eggs, and a choice of eggnog or juice. We ate while we watched the movie "A Christmas Story." When everyone was done eating we followed Dominique to the Christmas tree and watched her open all of her many presents. Santa was very good to Dominique, so she must have been a very good girl this year.

After all the Christmas excitement everyone migrated back to their own homes. Chris and I came home happy, but exhausted; falling asleep to the lull of Christmas Specials, we both took a long winters nap.




Merry Christmas Everyone

2 comments:

Ju said...

sounds likeyou guys had a great christmas! hope you had a great new years too.

Trac said...

What a fun Christmas! You were brave to venture out, and it paid off. How fun to see family!