Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Birthday Boy

I never knew how lucky and privileged I was to live so close and be the granddaughter of such a sweet, intelligent, and loving man. I remember we would drive to grandpa's house when I was a little girl and we'd go out to grandpa's warehouse and help him out. I would go explore the isles that held nuts and bolts, nails and screws. To this day when I go to a hardware store I take in the ever so familiar aromas and become draped with nostalgia.

Visiting grandpa in his big magical Dundee house was like going home. I always felt comfortable, and although I had to do chores, I loved being there. He always had a story to tell, and I was always eager to hear it. He always danced a jig when he was happy, excited, or had just been sitting for too long. But Grandpa never really sat for to long. He was a hard working man, and to this day still is.

I guess when I was young I believed he and grandma would be here forever. They would live nearby me forever and never die. Life is not about living forever though. It is about living your life to the fullest with what little time you have. Using your time wisely to work and play so that when it is time to die you are ready and have nothing left you feel that your life is missing. Grandpa and Grandma have lived such a life. I still imagine in my mind that they will live forever, no matter what happens.

You never know what you have until you lose it. Grandpa and Grandma are still alive and kicking, healthy and able. What I'm losing is the ability to see them every day. What I took for granted is that they were here with open arms inviting us to visit them and spend time with them. What I'm losing is the option to do this while they are living out their last days.

When one door shuts another door opens. Although it is a loss and very sad for me and anyone else in my family who can't afford to travel, it means that others are gaining the advantage of being able to see their beloved Grandparents. They are moving to a location where they are going to be surrounded by family. They probably wont have a moments peace because of all the grandchildren and great grandchildren that will be visiting them almost every day.

My advice to you is don't forget what a gift it will be to have them near you. Don't pass up the chance to bond with them and share your love with them while they are still here. I only have a month and a half until I say good bye to them. I pray you have years and years of healthy grandparents before they are through with their journey on earth. Give them hugs and tell them you love them for me as often as you can.

Today is a day worth celebrating, 90 years old and still going strong. To a man who loves loves loves birthdays, Happy Happy Birthday to you, dear Grandpa. I love you so much.






















7 comments:

Ju said...

Kim, this is an awesome tribute! We all love Grandpa so much, and this fits perfectly :o) Welcome to the blogging world!!

Trac said...

Kimmy, I love the way you write, it was great to read your tribute. Good advice too. I'm so glad you have a blog now! Woo-Hoo! So fun.

Shirleen Bland said...

Hey, Kim you do a most terrific job. I love it! Can't want to see more of your work. Love you lots.

Diane's Daily Doings -Life is always interesting said...

Kim,
You left a great tribute to great people. You have a very eloquent way of expressing yourself. That is a gift. We are happy that finally we live a day away from Grandpa & Grandma. Love your blog, you are a beautiful girl.

Kelli S said...

Yay! I had fun at the party. I think it was funny how Grandpa blew the candles out =) lol

Alesha said...

Hey Kim,

What a beautiful tribute! I couldn't have said it better. Reading that brought back memories of my own of growing up close to Grandma and Grandpa. We are very excited to have them closer after being so far away for so many years, but at the same time it makes us sad to know of all those they will be leaving behind. I will be the one to give Grandma and Grandpa all the hugs and kisses for you. Good to hear from you. Take care. Love ya!!!

Britt said...

Kim,
So glad you have a blog now! I'm enjoying catching up on it. I really wish I could have been at Grandpa's party. Although I'm out in Utah now, it will be nice to be closer to G&G when I'm out at home. I'm looking forward to some holidays with them hopefully!